Nov 13, 2007

Last day of teaching at Rainbow Centre

After 6 weeks of teaching Kindermusik at Rainbow Centre, it has come to an end today. Time flies ! As this is my first time teaching Kindermusik, it has been a great learning experience for me. There are alot of challanges teaching special needs and autistic* children --- catching their attention, lifting those children who are not able to walk while teaching, pacifying crying children who are sticky to their care-givers, etc.. Though I have a diploma in Learning Disorder Management and Child Psychology from Linguistic Council, real-life teaching experience is a different ball game altogether.

I must confess that I was a bit discouraged initially esp those times when there are no teacher to help out while I teach and times when the class is half-filled. Having said that I still find it heartwarming to see that many children are beginning to be more responsive towards me - greeting and shaking my hand as a gesture of thank you. Today, I am happy to see that many of them are getting to be more responsive and enjoying the activities.


Is heartening to see the fruits of my labour and this itself is all worthwhile.

*Autism is a brain disorder that affects development. Autism can affect a person’s ability to communicate, relate to others, and interact with his or her surroundings. Signs of autism usually appear by about 18 months of age. It is usually diagnosed between the ages of two and three. There is no cure for autism but early diagnosis and treatment can help people with autism lead more fulfilling lives.

No comments: